Thursday 18 June 2009

It's nearly the end of the week

I seem to be spending a lot of time on trains at the moment which is a useful time to catch up if I have the dongle and the signal is good. Yesterday I tried to get up to speed with Diigo, which Ihad seen a while ago but couldn't think how I could use it at the time.


I am sorry to see that you have to download a toolbar because that excludes it being used and demonstrated at college. It would be useful for people - Level 3 + but there's no way it could be added to the groaning system. And of course, that is what this is all about - balancing out the needs of the institution and the individual. We have only had access to Google Docs for a year. Before that, Websense blocked it and we were deprived of a great set of tools for students to use.


I've always been a great believer in the transformative power of technology having worked with dyslexic students for years. It's interesting that the use of technology to overcome difficulties is still not widely recognised. For example, we have text to speech software installed on every computer in the college but I know not many people use it - lecturers don't show their students, even when they can see that if the student used it, it would be less work marking assignments. Sometimes I think we have tried to run with techology before we have walked.


Definately near the end of the week. Time for a nice picture - this is an Amstrad emailer that I saw being used as a telephone in a lovely art gallery in St. Ives on a weekend break.

No comments:

Post a Comment